Finding acne treatments that work is important for everyone afflicted with this condition, and it is especially critical for teenagers.
Similarities exist regarding the different types of acne, levels of severity, and even acne triggers. However, there are also some unique differences specific to age.
In this article, we’ll be focusing specifically on teenagers since acne is a prevalent problem.
Skin Conditions Specific to Teenage Acne
Before discussing the most effective acne treatments, we need to address the different types of acne that teenagers deal with:
- Papules – Inflamed and tender-to-the-touch lesions that are usually small, pink bumps
- Comedones – Non-inflammatory papules, either whiteheads, which appear as white dots or blackheads that have a black tip
- Pustules – Inflamed lesions filled with pus that are often red around the base
- Nodules – Large, solid, and painful lesions deep within the skin
- Cysts – Deep-seeded lesions filled with pus that are painful and known to cause scarring
Acne Treatments That Work Best on Teenage Acne
Teenagers can develop any of the above types of acne. The goal is to choose the acne treatments that work best accordingly. While moderate to severe cases of acne can affect any person’s level of self-confidence, this problem is most prevalent among teenagers.
Teenage years are often fragile and unfortunately, there have been reported cases of teasing and even bullying of someone in high school who has acne. This is why finding safe but also fast-acting acne treatments is imperative.
To keep skin moisturized, sebaceous glands naturally produce sebum, which is oil. However, teenagers have raging hormones that stimulate the sebaceous glands, thereby producing too much oil. Sebum reaches the skin through hair follicles but when dirt and dead skin cells mix with the overabundance of oil, bacteria that typically lives on the skin’s surface begins to grow in the openings of the follicles. The result is clogged pores and the development of acne.
Additional Acne Treatment Tips
Now, there are other reasons that teenagers can be affected by acne but an overproduction of sebum and clogged pores is the primary issue.
Because of this, the best acne treatments will work to unclog the pores, eliminate both bacteria and dead skin cells, and keep the production of sebum to a normal level. The best option is to follow a daily skincare regimen using only home remedies or commercial products made with high quality organic ingredients.
In addition to knowing the the latest and most effective acne treatments, there are some additional things of which to be mindful:
- As part of good skincare, exfoliation is important. With this, excessive oil and dead skin cells will be sloughed off. The mistake that some teens make is using a harsh remedy or product that actually irritates the skin further. In this case, it is important to choose only a mild exfoliate, rubbing it on the skin’s surface in gentle, circular motions. The same is true when choosing an organic cleanser in that it needs to be made with gentle yet effective ingredients and applied to the skin carefully.
- For teenage girls, cosmetics with an oil-base are to be avoided at all cost. Instead, we recommend only non-comedogenic products. These products still provide great coverage but without causing acne breakouts or making an existing condition worse. Non-comedogenic cosmetics are specially made to prevent pores from becoming clogged, allowing skin to remain healthy and acne free.
- Probably one of the biggest mistakes that teenagers make is picking at or squeezing pimples. While it might seem popping a pus-filled pimple helps, in actuality this pushes bacteria even deeper into the skin. In addition, messing with acne increases inflammation as well as the risk for permanent and unsightly scarring.
Teenage Skin Doesn’t Have to Be a Lost Cause
Remember, the best acne treatments will be based not only on the type acne, but also severity of the condition. In most cases, proper skincare solves a lot of problems.
While it might take a little time to restore skin to good health, a daily regimen is highly effective. In addition, there are other treatment options available for teenagers such as specially formulated topical ointments and creams.
In addition to implementing acne treatments that work, we also recommend following a healthy diet, drinking plenty of water, getting adequate sleep, and daily exercise. All these things combined will prevent risk of developing acne or reduce the effects of a current breakout.
For more information about the treatments for teenage acne, check out the following resources:
Clear Pores Review ~ Clear Pores – 3 tiered approach to treating acne from the inside-out.
Blue MD Review – Blue MD – at home blue light acne treatment device that destroys acne causing bacteria on contact.
Acne No More Review ~Acne No More – A science-backed holistic acne solution developed by Medical Researcher, Michael Walden
My Face Pillow Review ~ My Face Pillow – A Unique, Patented Pillow technology for the ultimate in beauty sleep.
Quit Acne ~ Quit Acne is a step by step holistic guide to curing acne by Lauren Geersten, Nutritional Therapy Practitioner